I. THE SALVATION OF SINNERS IS WHOLLY OF GRACE. (EPHESIANS 2:8; ISAIAH 45:22; JONAH 2:9)
II. ALL MEN NEED THE GRACE OF GOD. (PSALM 14:1-3; ACTS 18:27).
1. Every New Testament example of a child of God is that of one who became such by the grace of God.
2. Grace means: to grant as a favour or gift expecting nothing in return.
3. It is impossible to work one’s way into favour with God. (Romans 2:4)
4. God’s saving grace cannot be mixed with works or anything else. (Romans 11:5,6)
5. Salvation cannot be earned. (Romans 4:4)
III. MEN NEED THE MEDIATORIAL OFFICE WORK OF THE SON OF GOD.
1. There is only one mediator. (I Timothy 2:5)
2. There is only one way to come to God. (John 14:6).
3. Jesus suffered that He might be the mediator for man. (Philippians 2:8-11)
4. Jesus’ death made full payment for man’s sins. (Matthew 20:28; Hebrews 2:9)
5. Jesus is now enthroned in Heaven, having risen from the dead. (Hebrews 1:3)
6. Jesus is in every way qualified to be a suitable and compassionate Saviour. (Hebrews 7:25)
IV. GOD’S GRACE NOW ABOUNDS (ROMANS 5:20)
He still extends His grace to men. (II Peter 3:9)
V. HOW GOD’S GRACE IS OBTAINED IN SALVATION. SOME EXAMPLES:
1. “God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble”. (I Peter 5:5)
2. “But He giveth more grace”. (James 4:6)
3. Luke 23:39-43; Acts 9:1-5; 16:31; John 1:11,12.