“I must protest against the abandonment of the Arakan mission.”
November 19, 1845 – Adoniram Judson, was a messenger to the Triennial Convention. It was a dark day, for the Baptists of the South had withdrawn, and it was apparent that a reduction in the budget would be necessary. A solemn report was read by Dr. Solomon Peck, foreign secretary. One of the suggestions was that they abandon the Arakan mission. The Convention was being asked to sound “retreat!” Judson, back in the States after 33 years of missionary service was listening to a report that would close part of their work in Burma. It is not difficult to surmise what must have been going through his mind. After becoming a Baptist by conviction the Judson’s waited 3 years before being appointed as missionaries of the Triennial Convention. They had waited seven years before the first convert was won, and on June 27, 1819, he finally baptized Moung Nau. In 1815 their little 7 month old son died. Then Ann Judson became ill and had to return to America for two years, and Adoniram persevered alone. The first Burman War broke out in May of 1824. In June, Judson was cast into the death prison. The sufferings were indescribable. After 11 months in Ava, he endured 6 more months of imprisonment in Oungpenla. While he was helping the Burmese to secure terms of peace with the British, Ann Judson died on Oct. 24, 1826. Then 6 months later, Judson’s little daughter Maria followed her mother in death. Judson became almost a recluse. He dug his own grave and sat beside it brooding. 8 years later he married Mrs. Sarah Boardman. They had two daughters and a son, and the little boy died. And then Sarah died en route home. Judson had lost his voice and was forbidden to speak. But now he could no longer remain silent. He arose and the lion roared. “I must protest against the abandonment of the Arakan mission.” And the “Lone Star” was saved.
Dr. Greg J. Dixon from: This Day in Baptist History Vol. I: Cummins /Thompson/, pp. 482-83.
THE CROSS OF CHRIST
THE MARVELOUS WORK WAS DONE
THE VICTORY HAS BEEN WON
THE PRICE IS PAID
FROM THE CRADLE TO THE CROSS
FROM THE CROSS TO THE GRAVE
THE PRICE HAS BEEN PAID
FROM BEGINNING HE HAS BEEN
HIS PRESENCE NOW IS SEEN
THE PRICE HAS BEEN PAID
A PLACE IS PREPARED
AND I’M GOING THERE
THE PRICE HAS BEEN PAID
Technorati Tags: Jesus, heaven, cross grave
Luke 16:19-31; Revelation 20:7-15
Penitentiaries and jails speak of man’s belief in the punishment of men for wrongdoing. Man believes the criminal should be separated from the law abiding. God also believes in separating the righteous from the unrighteous. Hell is a reality.
I cannot imagine a death more horrible than death by burning. The pain and suffering that has to be involved with this type of death is totally unimaginable to me. I would not wish this type of death on my worst enemy. What is worse, is the people that make light of dying and descending into a place of eternal burning and suffering; that place called HELL!!
Let us examine this place.
I. THE GREAT WHITE THRONE JUDGEMENT. (REVELATION 20:7-15)
1. The judge. John 5:22; “For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son.”
2. The subjects. (Rev. 20:12; Eph. 2:1-3). All who have never repented and trusted in Jesus.
3. Basis of judgement (John 20:13).
a. According to works (Rev. 20:13).
b. In the Great White Throne, judgement because of unbelief (John 3:18).
4. The reason for this judgement. That each unbeliever might receive his just part in the lake of fire (Rev. 21:8; Matt. 10:15; 11:24).
NOTICE THIS; The Great White Throne Judgement is not to determine whether one is saved and going to heaven or unsaved and going to hell. It is strictly for the unsaved/lost and determines how bad they were and all are cast into the lake of fire.
II. HELL IS THE FINAL ABODE OF THE DEVIL, FALLEN ANGELS, AND UNBELIEVEERS.
1. Origin of Hell and why (Matt. 24:41; II Peter 2:4; Jude 6).
2. Those in Hell.
a. The Devil (Rev. 20:10).
b. Fallen Angels (Jude 6).
c. Unbelievers (Rev. 20:13-15).
3. The final Hell (Rev. 20:13-15).
III. WHAT HELL IS LIKE.
1. A lake of fire and brimstone (Rev. 21:8). If this is figurative language, how awful the reality!
2. A place of torment. (Greek: odunaomai, mental and/or physical pain, agony, suffering, Luke 16:23.) Revelation 20:10: “Tormented day and night forever.”
3. Read Luke 3:17.
IV. HOW LONG HELL LASTS – ITS DURATION.
1. It is called an everlasting destruction (II Thess. 1:9).
2. It is said to be forever and ever (Rev. 14:10,11).
3. Figurative speech describes it as eternal (Mark 9:44, 46, 48).
V. THE STATE OF THOSE WHO GO TO HELL.
1. Their condition is final and there is no escape (Luke 16:24-26).
2. There is no future chance (Rev. 22:11; Eccl. 11:3).
3. Why they are there (Luke 16:27-31).
4. Those who go there remain in a conscious state (Luke 16:23).
VI. HELL, THEN, IS A DEFINITE PLACE OF REALITY, AND IS NOT THE GRAVE.
1. All of the foregoing scriptures teach the consciousness of those in Hell, therefore it could not be the grave.
2. Some questions with scriptural answers show that Hell is not the grave.
a. Are angels buried in graves? II Peter 2:4: “Cast down to hell.” Can this be construed to mean that they are in the grave? (Jude 6).
b. Are none but the wicked in the grave? Psalm 9:17: “The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.” What about the righteous who die?
c. Can a man put another man in Hell? He could if Hell is the grave. Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather feat him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.”
THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISION YOU WILL EVER MAKE IN LIFE IS WHERE WILL YOU SPEND ETERNITY.
Technorati Tags: hell, wicked, angels, Luke, Peter, grave, soul, body eternity