How many years had I had a dim view of Thomas the Doubter. Too many. While preparing for a study for Church on Wednesday night, my eyes were opened to the man Thomas truly was. I had heard too many references about his doubting and that had clouded my thoughts on Thomas.
Let me show you a few things about Thomas that are seldom mentioned. John 11:14-16, Jesus has the desire to go see the family of Lazarus. The disciples objected on the grounds that the Jews wanted to kill Jesus. All except Thomas. His reply – “let’s go die with him.”
How often is this quoted of this great man. Now I say great for these four reasons.
1. He displayed a fervent love for the Master. (Do you?)
2. He was ready to act. (Are you?)
3. He was ready to give an expression to his faith by death. (Will you?)
4. He opposed the other disciples in their faithlessness. (Would you?)
John 14:5,6 – Where Jesus said “Let not your hearts be troubled …..I go to prepare a mansion for you … ” Jesus finished this up by saying “And whither I go ye know and the way ye know. Thomas made two revealing statements at this point – “Lord, we don’t know where you are going. – How can we know the way?” Here are some points on this statement.
1. Thomas was anxious about the Lord leaving him. (Are we anxious when we drift from the Lord?)
2. Thomas desired the truth. (Do we desire the truth?)3. Jesus answer was bigger than the question. “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me.” ( Are you on this way, in this truth, and truly living and going to see the Father. There is only One way.) To know Christ is to know the Goal and the way to it. John 20:24-31 records The doubt that Thomas had. How hard we judge Thomas on this one account. Let our memory wander back to resurrection morning and two disciples from the inner circle racing to the tomb and experiencing wonder and doubt. How about when Peter denied Jesus three times. After the crucifixion and resurrection in there not a statement about the disciples remembering certain things that Jesus told them? One thing that Thomas could not do was believe through the belief of others. Rush to verse 28 where Thomas says – MY LORD AND MY GOD.” 1. Instant dispersion of doubt. 2. Admiration. 3. Adoration. 4. Recognition of Supreme Diety. My respect for Thomas has been elevated. He had courage and strength of conviction. May we all desire these fine points of Thomas.