John preached no literary review or entertaining message. he did not attempt to appeal to the higher nature in man. Though an unpopular doctrine, repentance and faith are as old as man.
:Just confess Jesus” is the rule of modern evangelism, but such a confession must be the result of a changed mind and feeling toward God, must stem from the heart.
I. NOTICE THE NECESSITY OF REPENTANCE.
1. Repentance is taught in the Old Testament (Ezekiel 14:6).
2. John the Baptist taught repentance (Matt. 3:1).
3. Jesus taught repentance (Luke 13:3-5; Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15; 2:17).
4. The disciples were commanded to preach repentance (Luke 24:47).
5. The disciples preached repentance (Mark 6:12).
6. The Apostle Paul preached repentance (Acts 20:21).
7. God commands all men, everywhere, to repent (Acts 17:30
II. REPENTANCE AS IT IS FOUND IN THE BIBLE INVOLVES:
1. A knowledge of what sin dies, and of personal guilt (I John 3:4; 5:17).
2. Personal, self-examination.
a. Sees sin as committed against God (Psalm 51:4).
b. Hatred for sin generated in the heart (Job 42:6).
c. Sorrow for sin because it is against God (II Corinthians 7:10).
d. A purpose or will to sin against God no longer, involves a sense of helplessness to accomplish this purpose by one’s own self.
III. FAITH TOWARD CHRIST.
Bible faith is: trusting, relying, entrusting or committing to the power of another.
1. There is no merit in faith as such-the merit is in the object of faith.
Example” One might have faith in a ladder, but the ladder breaks. One might have faith in baptism, church membership, dedication in infancy, or in personal virtue, but such faith does not save because the object is wrong.
2. One must have a belief in God before saving faith in Jesus Christ can come (Hebrews 11:6).
3. The meaning of faith in Jesus:
a. A reliance upon Him (John 3:16).
b. A faith from the heart (Romans 10:9,10).
c. A faith which receives Jesus (John 1:11,12).
d. A faith which commits to Jesus (II Timothy 1:12).
e. A faith that will pray to God (Romans 10l:13).
IV. WHY IT MUST BE BY FAITH IN JESUS.
1. Because none can come to God in any other way (John 14:6).
2. Because the Gospel alone is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16).
3. Jesus is the heart of the Gospel. There is no gospel without Him (I Corinthians 15:1-3