AND TOTAL DEPRAVITY
1. MAN WAS CREATED IN GOD’S IMAGE – UPRIGHT AND INNOCENT (GENESIS 1:27; ECCLESIASTES 7:29).
2. BY VOLUNTARY TRANSGRESSION MAN FELL FROM HIS HOLY AND INNOCENT STATE (GENESIS 3:1-7; I TIMOTHY 2:14).
3. WHAT IS MEANT BY “DEPRAVED”?
“A total tendency to evil, corrupt, wicked, sinful, bad.” By TOTAL is meant man’s entire make-up: soul, body, spirit; no part is untouched by sin; there is no good mixed with bad (Col. 1:21; Eph. 2:1; Psalm 58:3; Isa. 64:6).
4. MAN IN HIS NATURAL, FALLEN STATE, CANNOT PLEASE GOD (ROMANS 8:7-10).
5. NO MAN CAN LOVE GOD UNTIL BORN OF GOD (I JOHN 4:7-10).
Many seek to do right because of restraint and training. Depravity is more in evidence in some, but the guilt is the same, although the degree of commission of sin may vary from man to man (Rom. 3:23).
6. ALL MEN ARE SINNERS BY NATURE AND PRACTICE (JEREMIAH 17:9,10; I TIMOTHY 1:15; EPHESIANS 2:1-3).
7. FALLEN MAN IS UNABLE TO SAVE HIMSELF.
“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost” (Titus 3:5). Fallen man must depend upon the mercy of God (Luke 18:13).